Friday, June 27, 2008

Twins Sweep Pads as T-Wolves Mess Up Draft Again

Lets start with the Timberwolves. When I checked ESPN while out to eat last night, I noticed the Wolves had selected O.J. Mayo. I was happy, they had the 3rd pick and appeared to select the 3rd best player. Going into last night I was thinking the Wolves would get Mayo or Beasley, in case Miami changed their minds. So no matter what the result would be good. Mayo fit the wolves a talented gurad who could complement Randy Foye in the backcourt. But McHale did it again, he sent Mayo, Walker, Jaric and Buckner to Memphis for Kevin Love, Brian Cardnil, Mike Miller and Jason Collins. I personally hate the deal and I think the Wolves passed up on a great chance with O.J. Mayo. Lets look back to 2006, the Wolves selected Brandon Roy, who many thought was the best player in the draft. Then he was traded to Portland for their pick Foye and cash. Roy went on to be Rookie of the year and made the All-Star team in his second year. In the 90s the Wolves took Ray Allen before sendign him to Milwaukee for Marbury. I guess now we will have to wait in see, but something tells me Mayo will be a star someday and Love will not. In the meantime, I will not post anything about the Wolves or even pay attention to their games until Kevin McHale and or Glen Taylor are out of there.

Meanwhile, the best Minnesota franchise, the Twins are on a roll. The sweep of the Padres gives them 9 in a row. All the 2006 comparisons are coming now, but I disagree. This team is finally getting some power and depending on good qaulity starts from starting pitching. The 2006 team was based on dominating starts from Santana, Liriano and the small ball routine. But either way, the Twins should be lobbying to make a move to the National League, if so they may break the record for regular season wins. 9 games at home now and all very important, lets hope this team can keep it up.

Yesterday Matt Garza pitched a complete game 1 hitter for the Rays as they completed a sweep of Florida. He is now 6-4 this season with a 3.76 era. Clearly the Rays are getting the better of this deal so far. Maybe I should start comparing Garza to Brendan Harris instead of Delmon Young and I would feel better.

No comments: